CMSC 110 (Introduction to Computing)
Due before start of class on Tuesay,
September 17, 2013
NO CREDIT FOR LATE SUBMISSIONS
First, do all the assigned readings and tutorials assigned in class.
Design and create your own sketch using Processing. Think of
yourself as a creative designer when chosing the topic of your
design. This is your very first sketch, so here are some
- Make sure that it is at least 500 pixels by 500 pixels.
- Make use of any of the drawing primitives learned in class
in the past week: size, no/smooth, stroke, fill, point, line, rect,
triangle, ellipse, quad, begin/endShape, arc, curve, mouseX,
mouseY, image, etc.
- Your sketch should make use of several functions (as this is
the point of this assignment!). A really "abstract" sketch like a
simple circle in the center of the screen will not suffice (as
asthetic as it may seem).
To give you some ideas, several sketches will be presented in
class. Here are some additional ideas:
- A self-portrait
- An avatar or a cartoon of someone
- Your favorite cartoon TV Show character (e.e. South Park), or
design your own...
- A city scape
- Animal/object caricatures/study
- A Post Card Design
- A fabric pattern
- Stylize your name's initials...or a logo
- The Bryn Mawr Owl
- A Poster
- Imitation of existing design or art (check out Ndebele and
other folk designs, works of artists like: Kasimir malevich,
Robert Delauney, Piet Mondrian, Giorgio Morandi, etc.)
Make sure to follow the Code
Formatting Standards in your implementation.
What to Hand in:
- Write a paragraph about the sketch, its inspiration, and how
you designed and implemented it. Include a brief discussion about your
impressions on working on this assignment.
- Submit a hard copy of the following items: your
paragraph, a printout of your sketch, and all code for your
sketch. This hard copy is due at the start of class on the due
- Submit an electronic copy of your sketch, in addition to the
hard copy. The electronic copy of the sketch must be submitted
through the shared DropBox folder which you will be invited to
by the instructors.