Major in Computer Science
Major advisor 2014-2015: Professor Deepak Kumar
Students desiring to major in Computer Science or related fields should work in close cooperation with their advisor in Computer Science. Students can declare the major in their sophomore year.
In addition to the core curricular requirements of the college, the following computer science courses must be fullfilled:
- Introductory Courses
- CS 110 (or H105): Introduction to Computing
- CS 206 (or H106): Data Structures
- CS/MATH 231: Discrete Mathematics
- Any two of:
- CS 240: Principles of Computer Organization
- CS 245: Principles of Programming Languages
- CS 246: Programming Paradigms
- Any one of:
- CS 330: Algorithms: Design & Practice
- CS 340: Analysis of Algorithms
- CS 345: Theory of Computation
- Six additional courses in computer science (at most two of these can be 200-level).
- Writing in the major requirement (class of 2017 and after)
- All Computer Science majors must take CMSC B330, a writing intensive course, to fulfill the writing requirement.
- Senior Project/Thesis and senior conference
- Thesis proposal due by 11/15, fall semester of senior year
- Recommended Course Plan for Major in Computer Science
YearFall SemesterSpring Semester