CMSC 110 (Introduction to Computing)
Due before start of class on Wednesday,
September 12, 2012
First, read Chapters 1-3 from Shiffman's text.
Design and create your own sketch using
Processing. Think of yourself as a creative designer when chosing
topic of your design. This is your very first sketch, so here are
- Make sure that it is at least 500 pixels by 500 pixels. The
dimensions can vary depending upon your design, but make sure
is not "small".
- Make use of any of the drawing primitives learned in class
week: size, no/smooth, stroke, fill, point, line, rect,
ellipse, quad, begin/endShape, arc, curve, mouseX, mouseY,
- Your sketch should make use of several functions (as this is
point of this assignment!. A really "abstract" sketch like a
circle in the center of the screen will not suffice (as asthetic
To give you some ideas, several sketches will be presented in
Here are some additional ideas:
- A self-portrait
- An avatar or a cartoon of someone
- Your favorite cartoon TV Show character (e.e. South Park), or
design your own...
- A city scape
- Animal/object caricatures/study
- A Post Card Design
- A fabric pattern
- Stylize your name's initials...or a logo
- The Bryn Mawr Owl
- A Poster
- Imitation of existing design or art (check out Ndebele and
folk designs, works of artists like: Kasimir malevich, Robert
Piet Mondrian, Giorgio Morandi, etc.)
Make sure to follow the Code
Formatting Standards in your implementation.
What to Hand in:
- Write a paragraph about the
sketch, its inspiration, and how you designed and implemented
a brief discussion
impressions on working on this assignment.
- Submit a hard copy of the following items: your
paragraph, a printout of your sketch, and all code
for your sketch. This hard copy is due at the start of class on
the due date.
- Submit an electronic copy of your sketch, in addition to the
hard copy. The specific procedure for doing this will be
discussed in class on Friday September, 7th.